- The Governing Body
- Members of the Governing Body
- The Three Main Roles of the Governors
- Governing Body Sub Committes
The Governing Body of Ysgol Treganna
The governing body is responsible for seeing that the School is run effectively, operating within the framework set by legislation and that the policies of the local authority (LA) and the Welsh Government (WG) are followed.
The Headteacher and senior management team are responsible for the day-to-day running of the School, while the governing body fulfils a strategic role.
The Headteacher and senior management team works in partnership with the governing body in order to ensure that pupils at the school received the best education.
The governing body meets once or twice a term. The governing body has a number of committees responsible for different aspects of the work of the School.
These are the Key Responsibilities of the Governing Body.
Contacting the Governors
Members of the Governing Body
Membership of the Governing Body 2022-23
THE THREE MAIN ROLES OF THE GOVERNING BODY
i) STRATEGIC ROLE
Regulations and The School Governors Guide to the Law clearly describe the respective roles and responsibilities of governing bodies and head teachers. Governing bodies fulfil a strategic role and should not interfere in the day to day running of the school – this is the responsibility of the Headteacher. Governors carry out their strategic role by deciding on what they want the school to achieve and providing a strategic framework to get there. This involves:
- setting the aims and objectives for the school;
- agreeing policies, targets and priorities for achieving these objectives;
- Monitoring and evaluating to see whether (i) and (ii) are being achieved.
Governors should always take advice on all of this from the Headteacher before making decisions.
ii) THE CRITICAL FRIEND
This is where governors need to offer support and constructive advice to the Headteacher, perhaps act as a sounding board for ideas, etc., but need also to ask those challenging questions, seeking information and clarification, improving proposals, to arrive at the best decision for all concerned.
iii) THE ACCOUNTABLE ROLE
Whilst the Headteacher and staff of your school are accountable to the governing body for the performance of the school, the governing body must be prepared to explain its decision and actions to anyone who has a legitimate interest. This could include staff, parents, pupils, the local community, the LA, Welsh Government.
Core Responsibilities of the Governing Body
- Promoting high standards of educational achievement and behaviour
- Setting targets for pupil achievement
- Ensuring that all learners have access to a broad and balanced curriculum
- Determining the aims, policies and priorities of the school
- Determining and monitoring the school’s budget
- Staffing – e.g. staff appointments, performance management
- Providing parents with information regarding the school
- Producing an action plan and monitoring progress following an inspection by Estyn
- The wellbeing and safeguarding of learners
How does a Governor fulfil his/her duties?
- Attending meetings, committees and, perhaps, participate in small working parties from time to time
- Visiting the school
- Being linked to an area of the school’s work
- Participating in decisions of the governing body
- Working within an agreed code of conduct (See Appendix A for Principles of Conduct for Governors of Schools in Wales)
- Maintaining confidentiality when required
- Undertaking training and development
- Being aware of the latest initiatives and developments in education Support and Training for governors to carry out their responsibilities effectively
Governing Body Committees
The following committees meet once a term:
- Curriculum Committee
- Finance Committee
- Premises, Health and Safety Committee
- Personnel and Performance Management Committee
The following committee meet as required
- Complaints Committee
- Staff Grievance and Staff Grievance Appeal Committee
- Pupil Discipline and Exclusion Committee
- Staff Disciplinary and Dismissal Committee and
- Staff Disciplinary and Dismissal Appeals Committee
Governing Body Vacancies